Philosophy and Mission:
- To nurture the artistic spirit in each person and a lifelong love of music and learning.
- To help each student achieve his or her highest musical potential.
- To have fun while learning to play the piano!
Teacher, Parent & Student Responsibilities
Please use the Swap List (provided to each student) for any unavoidable conflict (i.e. your student has a sporting event, doctor’s appointment, birthday party). Use the
- Provide a positive and enthusiastic atmosphere for learning and encourage a feeling of success at each student’s individual rate of learning.
- Offer multiple performance and enriching activities with a balanced program of theory, technique, sight-reading and performance opportunities.
- Continue to further her teaching skills and music knowledge by belonging to professional organizations, attending workshops, reading professional publications, and engaging in other activities leading to professional growth.
- Provide a piano in the best possible condition (most keyboards and organs are not appropriate).
- Set aside a regular time for practice each day (this can be done all at once or divided into two or more daily practice sessions) to develop self-discipline and good practice habits. Younger children especially need help from parents with their practicing.
- Encourage progress! Many small steps throughout the year yield great results! Parents are welcome and encouraged to attend lessons at any time.
- Check your child’s notebook, Studio website (www.leavittpianostudio.com) and Facebook page weekly for pertinent information.
- Provide a metronome, 3-ring binder and repertoire/method books. Photocopied materials are illegal and will not be used unless the original music is no longer in print and we have permission from the copyright owner.
- Provide a place allowing quiet and uninterrupted practice.
- Provide a practice environment that is free from interruptions (family, friends, TV, computer or phone).
- Be financially responsible. Pay tuition on time. For account questions, please contact Shauna directly.
- Also, communicate any questions or concerns you may have about your child’s progress.
- Be helpful, interested and supportive!
- Arrive at each lesson punctually, well-prepared, and with all necessary materials. If you arrive five minutes late, your lesson is five minutes shorter. You reserve the time slot, not the number of minutes.
- Practice! In order to progress satisfactorily, daily quality practice is necessary and required.
- Participate in Studio activities. Youth students will participate in a minimum of two performances per year. Students will also have the option of additional performance opportunities if desired.